Freedom is a remarkably imprecise word that can refer to:
For the shorter term, being free also means having holidays, weekend, finished work for the day, having a break.
- Freedom (political)
- an absence of political restraints, particularly with respect to speech, religious practice, and the press.
- not being in prison, not (in particular, no longer) the victim of false imprisonment
- economic freedom, i.e., having choices, not being subject to very many natural or institutional constraints. A monopolistic firm has more freedom to set prices than does a firm in a perfectly competitive market. One with more net worth has more freedom than one without any. See economic power.
- no longer having a romantic relationship, free to do what one wants, including starting a new one or having one-night-stands, casual physical intimacy, etc.
- coming of age and leaving one's elderly home
- freedom of choice i.e. free will
It is also the name of a British newspaper, an album by Neil Young, two otherwise unrelated songs by Richie Havens and Rage Against the Machine, and small towns in New York and New Hampshire.
Source | Copyright
Webmasters: Add your website here:
Readers: Edit |
Publisher of radical books including the Semiotexte line of books.
Black Rose Books
Black Rose Books is a non-profit book publishing project that publishes non-fiction books in the social sciences and the humanities. An alternative publisher established in 1970 and committed to social change. Black Rose Books publishes books that deal with important concerns such as gender equality, ecology, cities and neighbourhoods, and questions of peace, freedom and social justice.
Arbeiter Ring Publishing
Arbeiter Ring is a not-for-profit, worker-owned and collectively-run publishing house. We try to publish writing that makes important contributions to the kind of debates that you won't hear much about in the mainstream press.
Website of Anarchist Publishers.
Elephant Editions are an anarchist publishers who produce cheap versions of anarchist classics by the likes of Kropotkin and Malatesta, plus more recent works.
See Sharp Press
Publisher of "rabble-rousing" books, pamphlets, bumper stickers, and e-texts in anarchism, atheism, music, philosophy, psychology, and modern (non-12-step) alcohol abuse self-help book. Reviews, submission information, online shopping, and related links.
Freedom Press Home Page
London-based publishers of anarchist books and papers since 1886. Site includes history, overview of anarchism, and selected articles and comics.
Cooperative that publishes and distributes radical literature. Includes a calendar of events, online store, and a mailing list.
Red Lion Press
Publishers of original and reprinted material on anarchism, libertarianism, and decentralism.